Wednesday, April 3, 2019

All Occasion | Back to Basics and Beyond Challenge #25 - 1.2.3. Card


Hey There!

I have just joined the wonderful Design Team over on the Back to Basics and Beyond Challenge Blog (http://bbbchallenges.blogspot.com/) which will showcase technique challenges for beginners and seasoned crafters alike...so it will be about the technique not the content. There will be two challenges each month and it will be great to have total freedom to design around the technique.


The challenge today is a 1.2.3. Card = 1 x Topper,  2 x Colors and 3 x Gems, Pearls or Jewels.


My 1.2.3. combination is:
1 Topper = Mega "Hello" Die Cut
2 Colors = Wilted Violet & Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide Inks
3 Jewels = Iridescent Jewels from Lucy's Little Things

I chose to focus on a large die cut as my topper since I wanted to use a distress oxide ink technique for the coloration on this card. I die cut, glued and stacked three words together from 100# white card stock and a heavy #110 black stock, too. I blended Wilted Violet onto the white die cut, sprayed it with shimmer spray, blotted it with a paper towel and flecked it with metallic watercolors and a little diluted Peacock Feather Ink. When it was dry, I glued it (slightly offset) to the black die cut for a shadow effect. 

I designed my own geometric pattern in PowerPoint and created a 6" x 6" stencil layout, which I die cut (from a heavy-weight acetate) using my Cricut. The options for making your own stencils are endless! I taped the stencil over a piece of 110# white card stock and blended my two inks together in a random pattern. I wanted some of the single color to shine through and also the blended color combo - these two inks work really well together!  A second panel was also blended with just Peacock Feather Ink. Once again, I sprayed both panels with the shimmer mist and used the same flecking technique to give them a speckled texture. After the panels were dry, they were die cut to size. 

The frame die cut was glued directly to the front of an A-2, top-folding white card base and the stenciled panel was popped up with craft foam and adhered in the center. The topper was glued into place and the card was finished with the three jewels - per the challenge. Head over to the BBB Challenge Blog to see the great work submitted by the rest of the design team!

I have also entered this card in these challenges:




Thanks for stopping by today!
Rachelle

19 comments:

  1. welcome to your first challenge a gorgeous make great colour combo, love the statement sentiment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Meg :) I'm so happy to be on the design team and can't wait for our next challenge!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the team hun. I love the background and the colours you've chosen. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Rachelle! I love your project! I was just working on a card using my oversized hello die, so you have given me some added inspiration. Great execution of the Distress Oxide technique! Thanks so much for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner
    613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog
    A Place To Start Challenge Blog https://hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chana! Don't know what I ever did without those oxide inks! :)

      Delete
  4. A wonderful card, with a super stencil background which fits our theme at Try it on Tuesdays. Thank you for sharing this with us there.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this is stunning Rachelle! I love the colors and your gorgeous background, the stencil you designed is beautiful! Welcome to the team!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy - I appreciate the kind comments & am happy to join the group!

      Delete
  6. This is so awesome, i love your background and the large sentiment just makes it pop !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops...should have said thank you so much for joining us at 613 Avenue Create !!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jean - sometimes a jumbo sentiment is all you need and it makes the design easy-peasy!

      Delete
  7. Wow Rachelle, you made a wonderful card. And, made your own stencil that looks great, thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - I love a great stencil challenge! :)

      Delete
  9. Fabulous card! The stencilled background looks so pretty, I love the design and colour choice 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Jo! I appreciate the comments - these colors make me happy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fabulous card, great for so many uses and love the colours you've used. Thank you for taking part in the April "Love To Craft Challenge Blog". DT Sam x

    ReplyDelete