Friday, July 16, 2021

Christmas Card | Picket Fence Studios - "A Happy Winter To You"

 

Hey there!

When it’s 95 degrees here in North Carolina, I love dreaming of chilly weather and truth be told, I miss the snowy winters up north! When it’s steamy outside, working on my Christmas cards seems to be my best option! The NEW “A Happy Winter To You” Stamp/Die Set is so much fun and features lots of ice skating critters, an icy pond and tons of punny sentiments! I decided to go with a blue/silver color palette but this would be great with monochromatic reds or purples, too!

Here's the link to the video tutorial ->-> (or you can watch it below) on this card over on the Picket Fence Studios' YouTube Channel! It's my first process video and I was actually kind of proud of myself when I watched the replay! Let me know what you think! : )



I started with a panel of blue card stock and using the direct ink-to-paper technique, swirled the “Mermaid Lagoon” Distress Ink in a random pattern across the entire surface. This gives me just a bit of texture and depth to the background. I spritzed the panel with shimmer mist and spattered larger droplets of pearl onto the surface.


Using one of the smaller "Life Changing Blender Brushes", I ink blended "Chipped Sapphire" Distress Ink onto the panel with the NEW “Slim Line Reversed Hand Cut Snowflake Stencil”. Starting with a middle value card stock color reduces the amount of ink blending you have to do! This panel was spattered with silver ink/diluted white paint and cut with the smallest slim line rectangle die from the “Slim Line Die Cutting System” Set. 



I used the NEW “Merry Christmas Word Topper Die” to cut the sentiment from silver specialty paper and glued it to the bottom of the stenciled panel. This entire panel was adhered to a slim line card front measuring 3.5" x 8.5".


The skating critters were stamped with the "Chipped Sapphire" Distress Ink and extra blank die cuts were added behind each one for a bit of dimension/stability. 


I needed a piece of glitter paper because I wanted to create a motion swirl for my ice skating bear so I  made my own using the NEW Paper Glitz color called "Snow Drifts"! The shine is incredible with this glitter-based medium; it spreads smoothly over the paper’s surface, dries super quick and there is ZERO particle flake off once it’s dry! I looked through my Picket Fence sentiment dies and found the scripty flourish I needed in the NEW “Merry Christmas 7” Word Die”! After die cutting the middle of the die, I ended up with two perfect motion swirls!  


All of the pieces were adhered to the front and I added a scattering of pieces from the NEW “Icicles Sequins Mix for some snowy sparkle. I just love how that giant bear is leaping into the air for his double axel spin move! 

13 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful card! I love the blue!!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia Rodriguez
    Migdalia's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your tutorial Rachelle,look forward to seeing more of them,a fabulous scene and winter card,

    ReplyDelete
  3. That background is so beautiful. Love the layout of the card and the additional elements too. Thanks for playing along with The Male Room. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful hun. That stencil is lovely. I'm enjoying the warm weather here. We don't get enough of it. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blue and white palette, so stylish and wintery and also fun!. Thank you for playing at the Male Room Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Rachelle, what a sunning card! I love the colors and cute images, gorgeous design as always! And what a great video/tutorial, awesome tips and ideas!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow what an incredibly lovely card, each detail is perfectly thought out and beautifully executed! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR (xmas in july!) STASH with us this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work, Rachelle! This is a wonderful winter scene!
    Thanks so much for an awesome response to our challenge at A Place To Start!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah,
    A Place To Start, Owner
    613 Avenue Create, Owner
    Redora Lee Designs , My Blog
    The Color of Cards, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  9. The background is amazing on this!

    Hugs Tinz

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous card, Rachelle! Your winter scene looks wonderful. Thank you for joining us at Creative Knockouts, and I hope to see you again soon. Hugs, Jinny

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG how cute is this! Great tutorial as well! That background is gorgeous and I love the stencil!

    Thank you for joining us at Creative Knockouts, I hope you join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those happy animals are so cute and love your tutorial to make your awesome card. Thank you for joining The Male Room Christmas challenge, I hope you'll also join our Birthday party challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! You were selected as a Rising Star at A Place To Start for the week of July 12-18, 2021! Thanks for a wonderful submission to our challenge. Please stop by our blog and grab your badge!

    THE RESIDENT DESIGN TEAM

    ReplyDelete