Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Christmas Cards | Graciellie Design - "Start Anew" Magnolias

 

Hello!

I've got a "Dynamic Duo" to share with you today featuring a cropped version of the new Graciellie Design's "Start Anew" Magnolias! When I designed wallpaper and fabric, I would have to create dozens of different color ways of the exact same pattern, which would then be weeded down to just few selections for any new release. We would call these color options "croquis" and this is what I'm showing you today - the contrast between a light, wintry blue-based palette and a warm, ink-blended woodgrain. I would love to know which one you like the best? 

I started with the blue version first and based it on the pretty blue pansies that overwinter here in North Carolina every year. It's so nice to look out my window and see pansies thriving in January! I cropped the "Magnolia Bouquet" image, printed and watercolored the panel. I lightly outlined the images with a pale blue gray wash to make it look like a snow shadow and spattered it with white paint. The panel was trimmed to size, adhered to a black card base and a few sequins were added to finish up the card.


For my second "croquis", I chose a one-layer coloration focusing on the rich, warm woodgrain and a more natural palette. In order to keep the floral colors clean, I had to create a mask (by fussing cutting another image to go on top) for each section and ink blending around them. I used Distress Inks and sprayed the panel with shimmer mist to activate! Here are some photos to show the coloring progression...adding a couple of woodgrain stencils to the base really made the background pop!




Once again, I trimmed the panel and attached it to a black card base. The sentiment from the "Christmas Wishes" Set was printed and cut with a fishtail banner die. I added an additional gold die cut underneath and glued this to the card front.



Here's a final shot of the two color ways side-by-side - let me know your top pick! : ) 

Head over to Graciellie Designs to check out all of her great new 2020 Holiday Sets! or -> @gracielliedesign - Instagram!

Thanks for stopping by today! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment! : )

Challenges:









Rachelle

20 comments:

  1. What can I say??? besides WOW GORGEOUS! Thanks for the little tips & tricks too! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two stunning colour combinations, impossible to choose between them,the blue reminds me of an icy cold day with a touch of snow,whilst the pink and brown I think give a greater contrast and depth of colour,perhaps the pink brown combo just has the edge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both fabulous cards love the beautifully coloured magnolias brlliant background on the 2nd one-love them both
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought in a hundred years I'd be saying these words [you know me and blue, right?] but I ADORE THE BLUE!! This Periwinkle shade for your gorgeous Magnolia is really wonderful, Rachelle! Both really terrific!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Rachelle, two stunning cards!! I love that image and your gorgeous coloring! It's hard to pick a favorite, but I love anything blue and the shades of blue on your first card is so beautiful!!
    Take care, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing card! Love the background you created!
    Thanks for playing along with us at our present challenge at Do-Al(l) Kreatives and good luck. Hope you will join us next month again.

    Crafty greetings
    Alex

    *Owner* Creative Crafting Uncles
    *DT + Admin* Do-Al(l) Kreatives
    *DT* Kreativ-Tanten Challenge
    Alex' Kreative Seite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me again... now with a other DT hat on.
      Thanks for playing along with us at our present challenge at Creative Crafting Uncles and good luck. Hope you will join us next challenge again.

      Crafty greetings
      Alex

      Delete
  7. WOW, I cant pick a fav as they are both amazing!!! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Rachelle...soooo pretty!! Thanks for joining us at Krafty Chicks Challenge this week xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow! what amazingly artful cards! thanks for helping us celebrate PINK CHRISTMAS at JINGLE BELLES!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two lovely cards, Rachelle. You have used the same stamped images in two different ways and made them look fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two really stunning creations Rachelle.
    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How on earth is anyone expected to chose a favourite from two such perfect cards. I do love the quote on the blue version though so it may tip the scales. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very striking. Completely different effect. Thank you for joining us at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge xx Lynda DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow ... what a gorgeous holiday card ... thanks so much for joining our ♥ Pink Christmas for the Cure! ♥ at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your coloring is so amazing, I have no words. Your art is just incredible and I am so inspired by it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rachelle,
    your cards are fabulous! I love how you've made the background. Thanks so much to join us at DAK.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.. what a beautiful work! I love the flowers and the colours of them! Very nice make - it's just amazing!

    Thanks for playing along with our Do-Al(l) Kreatives Challenge and good luck!

    Hugs and please come back soon!
    Doris
    Kleido’s BastelStüble
    *Owner* Do-Al(l) Kreatives
    *List Manager* Challenges for Days
    *GDT* Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2

    ReplyDelete