Friday, May 29, 2020

Birthday Card | Cut It Up! Challenge #201 - "Boys Will Be Boys" Masculine Project


Hello There!

I'm so excited to be sharing this masculine project with you today as we start a new challenge at the Cut It Up! Blog: "Boys Will Be Boys!" Our generous sponsor, Wendy from Digital Delights by Louby Lou, is donating a $5 gift code to her on-line store. She provided the digital papers that the design team used to create an amazing group of steampunk-ish inspired projects! Go check'em out!!!

I created a connected gear cover plate with a 1/4" outside frame (in the Cricut Design Space) to fit onto the front of an A2-sized card. I die cut this image twice from heavy-weight dark gray card stock and glued the cuts together. I ink-blended, spattered and dry brushed the gears to add age and metal accents. I decided that I wanted some additional single gears to be attached to the inside of the shaker so I die cut and colored them in the same way.

I printed the digital oxidized/gradated background paper, cut it to size, adhered it to an A2 card stock panel with tape runner and spattered it with gold, copper and silver inks. I used the cover plate to determine where to place the single gear pieces and glued them into place on the background paper.


I adhered a piece of acetate to the back of the cover plate frame with Scor-Tape and added a 1/8" wide strip of double thickness foam tape around the entire outside frame on top of the acetate. I gently rubbed my anti-static powder tool along the inside edge of the exposed foam tape to remove some of the tackiness, blew out the excess powder and peeled off the release paper. I dumped a mix of metal-colored sequins onto the background and gently placed the acetate cover frame on top. The gold heat embossed sentiments were attached to the front with glue dots to finish up the card.

I have never tried a project quite like this before and was happy with the way my finish turned out on the gear pieces - sometimes you just never know??? This is why I like challenges that push you a bit out of your comfort zone! 

Additional Challenges:







Thanks for spending time with me today and we can't wait to see your masculine projects over on the Cut It Up! Challenge - and don't forget the die cut!

Rachelle

12 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant masculine card the die cut cogs look so like metal ones and to use acetate to create a shaker card a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this is very cool! Love how this turned out with all the different textures and finishes! Those metal sequins are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is amazing. I love everything about it.

    Have a great weekend.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH WOW I love this ... what a fabulous masculine creation! Thanks so much for playing in our challenge at the Artsystamper Challenge Blog!
    Darlene
    ARTSYSTAMPER CHALLENGE
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your manly card is geared up, and ready to go, Rachelle! Aren't those the perfect metallic sequins for a guy, too? Fantastic!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shaker gears?? Epic!!!
    Thank you so much for playing along at The Paper Girls Challenge.
    Looking forward to seeing you again next time.
    Love Alex
    PinkCraftyMama
    Paper Girls Challenge DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love This! Very masculine and the gears are great!
    Thanks for playing along at Your Next Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Rachelle, what a fantastic masculine card! I love all of the gears and fabulous shaker design, so cool!!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun, such a great masculine card! I am such a sucker for all of those gears! Thanks for playing along with the Krafty Chicks challenge, hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way you've connected the gears and the colors used. Detailing is so creative. Love this! Would love to see you sharing these fantastic designs at the new “Masculine Cards" Facebook group to help inspire creativity. Hope you'll join us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just fantastic! I'm in love with the gears. This card is really just a perfect masculine design.

    ReplyDelete