Monday, June 17, 2019

Birthday Card | Avery Elle - Phonomenal / Wiper Card - A Place To Start Stencil Challenge


Hello!

I'm so excited to share my first interactive wiper card today, featuring Avery Elle's 'Phonomenal" stamp/die set! This card uses two stencil patterns and is my DT submission for the mid-month challenge over at A Place To Start Challenge Blog - head on over to see what the rest of the designers have created.

Using Ground Espresso Distress Oxide Ink, I stenciled the wood grain pattern onto a piece (4" x 8") of medium brown card stock with  Hero Arts' "Woodgrain Stencil". I spritzed the card stock with water, set it aside to dry and then glued it to a piece of 80 lb. white card stock for stability. I hand-cut my own large sun ray stencil out of 130 lb. card stock (8.5" x 11") using an Xacto knife and protractor. I blended Squeezed Lemonade Distress Oxide Ink onto a piece of 5" x 7.5" white card stock, spritzed it with water/shimmer spray and spattered it with pearlized watercolors. Here are the final cut measurements for the stenciled components:

Woodgrain - 2" x 7" - Scored at 1.5" & 2.25" | Sun Ray - 4.25" x 7" - Scored at 4.75" & 5.5"

I glued the left side of the woodgrain to the bottom of the sun ray piece and set aside to dry. I stamped/die cut all of the phonomenal images and then made a small slit in the soup bowl, which allowed me to slip a few of the toppings down into the noodles! HOW CUTE is this set??? After I determined location, I glued/popped the pieces into place with foam tape. Then I went to work on the wiper mechanism, which would hold the steam rising above the soup bowl. I experimented with a right-angled wiper arm until I came up with the correct length/height for this piece and it looked something like this: (mountain score line - the "X" is where the glue goes and it's positioned heading toward the bottom of the card base)

I did a few dry placement runs fitting the steam/wiper mechanism & finished bowl onto the card with Removable Tombow Adhesive until everything worked correctly and then all off the pieces were glued into place. The right side of the card panels were glued together and some sequins were added to the background. I heat-embossed the sentiment onto black card stock, die cut the strip and it was glued into place. "Have a Souper Birthday" was stamped onto the back of the card!

Here is short clip that shows the wiper in action! 

This card has also been entered in the following challenges:




Thanks so much for stopping by today!
Rachelle

9 comments:

  1. Rachelle, your beautiful card reminds me of a visual recipe for bouillabaisse!!! Love your talented coloring, and the slider card with the steam rising out of the bowl is fantastic! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Donna! I think I'm even more impressed that you know how to spell bouillabaisse! ;)

      Delete
  2. Rachelle, your card is delicious! Love the meal scene you've created. Great interactive elemtns too. Thanks for joining us at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week. Tristan DT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is adorable! I love it! Thanks for sharing it with us at Shopping Our Stash! Cyndi, DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cyndi! Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!!! I want a bowl of noodle soup now :)! The steam in the wiper worked fantastically!
    Thank you so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's brilliant. I love it. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete