Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Anniversary Card | Lawn Fawn - Out of This World



This card was featured on Lawn Fawn's "Fawny Flickr Friday" series on {6.1.2018}


Happy Wednesday!

I am lucky enough to have two wonderful younger sisters (who are also redheads) and they both celebrate spring wedding anniversaries. This year I decided to make similar cards for each of them using Lawn Fawn’s “Out of This World” stamp/die sets. I love the little astronaut and wanted to find a way to use it to represent the happy couples! This large 5 x 7-inch card gave me plenty of room to design my own colorful galaxy!

I arranged all of the Lawn Fawn images onto my MISTI (allowing enough room for die cutting) and stamped them onto Strathmore Smooth Bristol using VersaFine Onyx Black Ink. I stamped these images on 6 separate pieces of Bristol so that I would have ‘extras’ for later use. I heat set the ink, water colored & die cut all of the images.  I taped down a large piece (about 7 x 8”) of cold press watercolor paper onto a cutting board and blended Distress Oxide Inks (Twisted Citron, Wilted Violet, Salty Ocean & Picked Raspberry) in separate areas, leaving white spaces in between. I flicked large water droplets onto the paper to activate the inks and dried it with a paper towel after about 20 seconds. I then used a combination of Faded Jeans and Black Soot inks to darken my space sky by blending them onto the other colors. Water and Black Magic Glimmer Mist were sprayed onto the background, dried and sprayed again until I achieved the color I wanted. Gold metallic and white opaque paint were lightly flicked onto the paper using a stiff brush, creating the stars. I like using the textured watercolor paper for this technique because of the velvety matte finish and the amazing amount of depth you can achieve with a slightly textured paper.

I wanted to provide some depth at the bottom of the card (and I also needed a place to stamp my sentiment) so I die cut cloud banks out of both velum and gray card stock from the Puffy Cloud Border die set. I lightly blended Black Soot Ink around the edges of the card stock, flicked it with silver watercolor and stamped my sentiment in VersaFine Ink. After the black and galaxy panels were adhered to the card front, I started arranging my die cuts. I wanted a way to connect the two space sweethearts together and decided to use the looped kite string from the Yay, Kites! stamp/die sets. The heart loop was stamped onto silver card stock and then die cut. I think it tethered them perfectly together in space! 

Some of the planets were glued directly to the galaxy background and others were popped up with foam tape. The cloud banks were glued down with strong double-sided tape and Wink of Stella was used to add shine to the helmets and planets; the card was finished off with a selection of Lucy's Rainbow Sparkle Jewels. The inside of the card simply read "Happy Anniversary" and included the rocket ship blasting off from the sentiment.




Here is version #2 of the card featuring my blonde brother-in-law!


Thanks for joining me and have a great day!

Rachelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment