Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Birthday Card | Back to Basics and Beyond Challenges #26 "Use a Spray" - Ellen Hutson "Inner Mermaid"


Hey!

I would like to share a shaker tag card with you today featuring a great textured background using Hero Arts’ Starry Night Stencil. This card is posted, along with the other beautiful Design Team submissions, over on the Back To Basics and Beyond Challenge Blog - #26 “Use a Spray”.

I blended a Distress Oxide ink background (Salty Ocean & Cracked Pistachio) onto a 5” x 7” white card stock panel, sprayed it with a white pearl shimmer spray, blotted it with a paper towel and flecked it with pearlized water colors. Then I stenciled the wave background texture onto the panel using those same ink colors and a little Blueprint Sketch. I spritzed blue pearl spray through the stencil to highlight the waves. I LOVE this stencil because it looks like ocean waves, swirling wind or snow, and the stars at night – it can be used for so many backgrounds! This panel was glued onto a card front.


I designed a tag die cut in the Cricut Design Space and cut it 3 times from 110# Neenah Solar White card stock. I blended the tag front using the same inks/stencil and die cut the opening using My Favorite Things Stamps’ Elegant Rectangle STAX Die-Namics. This was also sprayed with shimmer mist. I adhered a piece of acetate to the back of the tag and set it aside. I stamped the mermaid tail from Julie Ebersole’s “Inner Mermaid” Stamp/Die Set with VersaMark Ink onto white card stock and heat embossed it with white powder. It’s so easy to blend distress oxides on top of embossed images and I love relief effect. I blended the interior of the tag with some of the same inks and stamped the sentiment using my MISTI; one more plain die cut was glued to the back of the sentiment background to give it some stability.


I added foam tape to the back of the tag front, heaped a pile of assorted sequins into the middle of the stamped piece and adhered the tags together, creating the shaker. The die cut mermaid tail was attached into place with a glue dot and the entire tag was glued to the front panel. All that was left was to adhere a few sequins into place. I really like the way the stencil pattern plays on the background panel and onto the tag and although the photos can’t quite capture the reflection, the shimmer spray really makes this card sparkle!

I have entered this card in the following challenges:

Simply Create Too - Anything Goes/No Twist #148

Daring Cardmakers "Bingo" Challenge - Stamping/Paper/Die Cuts

613 Avenue Create - April/Anything Goes #220

Love to Craft Challenge Blog - #33 April Anything Goes

Thanks so much for joining me today!
Rachelle

22 comments:

  1. This is so lovely. I love the colours and all the detail. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike! I made a mermaid too!! This is so cute. I've never made a shaker tag card before. It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sherri! Yep - great minds :) There are really only two seasons for me...mermaid and non-mermaid season! I really liked your take on the challenge with your great color selections. I appreciate the comments!
      Rachelle x

      Delete
  3. This is so neat! I love the composition and that stencil application is definitely an elevating factor. So unique and so perfectly executed! Thanks for leaving this on our front porch at 613 Avenue Create! We look forward to your visits!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner
    613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog
    A Place To Start Challenge Blog https://hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chana :) That stencil may become my favorite go-to! I appreciate your comments!
      Rachelle xox

      Delete
  4. gorgeous shading and texture on the background, the vibrant shaker tag a great contrast and idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! Nothing was really planned for this one - I just started blending and it somehow all came together...I LOVE it when that happens!
      Rachelle x

      Delete
  5. This is the best shaker card i have seen ! Beautiful colours and great techniques x thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue create x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jean - that's high praise coming from a designer with such awesome paper piecing & crafting skills! :)
      Rachelle x

      Delete
  6. This is gorgeous Rachelle! I love the beautiful colors and stenciling, awesome shaker design!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Tammy! We were complimentary color cousins with this challenge - you with your vibrant, fun oranges/pink and me with my ocean blues/green. :)
      Rachelle x

      Delete
  7. I love it. You have used my favourite technique, I am such a fan a shakers and the mermaid is just fantastic. Thanks for joining in at Daring Cardmakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dawn - I appreciate the comments! I think I could make a shaker everyday - I love them, too!

      Delete
  8. Great shaker card and stencilled background-love the Mermaid tail coming out of the aperture.Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue CReate
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol for commenting Carol!
      Rachelle :)

      Delete
  9. Ohhh Rachelle, what a stunning shaker card. Your background is gorgeous. I just Love mermaids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucille!
      Thanks a lot for the comments! <3
      Rachelle :)

      Delete
  10. Your inner Mermaid and my inner flower child would be best friends! LOve that splendid tail, and this wonderful stenciled ocean! xx
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great card - thanks for sharing it with us at Simply Create Too.

    Helen x
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous card. The colours you have used are my favourites. Thank you for taking part in the April "Love To Craft Challenge". DT Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a magical whimsical wonder. I love the embossing and inking and such yummy colour tones, the depth, the design... gorgeous! I am looking forward to working with you in A Place to Start x

    ReplyDelete